Ujjayi (warming breath)
BENEFITS VATA AND KAPHA
- Ujjayi Pranayama (Victorious breath), which stretches the breath, warms it before entering the lungs, and helps to build heat in the body. Through this heat, the internal Agni or ‘fire’ is stoked, and a powerful healing process is unlocked.
- Sit in a comfortable meditative pose or lie in savasana.
- Inhale & exhale through the nose with the mouth closed, long deep controlled.
- Fold the tongue back so that the tip of the tongue presses the back of the soft palate on the roof of the mouth.
- As you inhale say “sa” to yourself and as you exhale say “ha.”
- Repeat ten times.
- Focus on the exhalation. Notice where your breath normally stops. Increase the fullness of the exhalation.
- While this Pranayama is done through the nose, but it is helpful for beginners to begin practicing breathing through the mouth. To make the ocean sound, whisper the syllable “ha,” feeling the contraction in your throat. Then keep this contraction engaged on the inhalation and exhalation. After a couple of breaths try to close the mouth, breathing through the nose while still making the ocean sound in your throat. Also for beginers it is common to emphasize the exhalation but eventually the goal is to have an equal inhalation and exhalation.
- Calms the mind and the body
- The breath becomes a focal point which increase concentration
- Meditation practice become easier to concentrate
- Stimulates Circulation and metabolism
- Increases prana
- Increases sense
- stimulates olfactory glands
- Lungs absorbs oxygen more completely by opening the alveoli in the lungs.