Eating for your Dosha : Pitta-Pacifying Diet
- Dairy. Milk, butter and Ghee are good for pacifying Pitta. Reduce yogurt, cheese, sour cream and cultured buttermilk (their sour tastes aggravate Pitta).
- Sweeteners. All sweeteners are good except honey and molasses.
- Oils. Olive, sunflower and coconut oils are best. Reduce sesame, almond and corn oil, all of which increase Pitta.
- Fruits. Favour sweet fruits, such as grapes, cherries, melons, avocados, coconuts, pomegranates, mangos, and sweet, fully ripened oranges, pineapples and plums. Reduce sour fruits such as grapefruits, olives, papayas, and unripe pineapples and plums.
- Vegetables. Favour asparagus, cucumbers, potatoes, sweet potatoes, green leafy vegetables, pumpkins, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, okra, lettuce, green beans and zucchini. Reduce hot peppers, tomatoes, carrots, beets, onions, garlic, radishes and spinach.
- Spices. Cinnamon, coriander, cardamom and fennel are all right. But the following spices strongly increase Pitta and should be taken only in small amounts: ginger, cumin, black pepper, fenugreek, clove, celery seed, salt and mustard seed. Chilli peppers and cayenne should be avoided.
Adjusting for the seasons:
Pitta is aggravated during the wet, hot seasons. You will need to decrease consumption of the above items during this time, and increase it during the cool, drt seasons.
Rebalancing your Dosha, a delicate dance:
If your true Doshic balance is Pitta, but it has been overpowered with another Dosha putting you out of balance, you need to eat based on reducing the Dosha which is dominating your true constitution. For example, if your Pitta is overpowered by Kapha or Vata, eat less of the items listed under the Kapha or Vata Pacifying Diet and increase the items listed above.
Things can get tricky. For example, my main Doshic trait for my body is Pitta, however it is currently out of balance. Internally my Pitta is too high (acid reflux due to stress etc.) but my body, which is also generally Pitta, is going through a Kapha inbalance due to a recent injury. If I increase my Pitta intake to balance out the body-exterior, it will add to the body-interior inbalance. This is why I recommend visiting a certified Tri-Doshic practitioner who can assist. There are foods that will help you find the balance you need for all components of your being. They will determine your true constitution and your current state of flux and provide you with food lists for your own menu creations.